Hats off to hat maker Margaret O’Connor following the success of Spitfire Bird, her Dublin Fringe Festival project to give Dublin’s statues a head-turning makeover.
Last week, Margaret’s fabulous creations graced the heads of nine of our capital’s most prominent figures in spots all around the city centre, eliciting gasps of awe and delight from tourists and Dubliners alike.
1. Sir John Gray, O’Connell St.
2. William Smith O’Brien, O’Connell St.
3. Daniel O’Connell, O’Connell St.
4. Four Angels Fountain, College Green
5. Molly Malone, Suffolk St.
6. Oscar Wilde Memorial Sculpture, Merrion Square
7. The Kiss, Earlsfort Terrace
8. Anna Livia, Wolfe Tone Quay
9. Countess Constance Markievicz, Townsend St.
If you want to know more about these statues and Margaret O’Connor’s inspiration for each item of headwear, you can download our Spitfire Bird freesheet here.
Finally, a very special thanks goes out to our wonderful Fringe volunteers who stood out, rain or shine, to ensure that the hats stayed safe for the time they were on display. Míle Buíochas!